Google Docs is a word processing program similar to MS Word; however, it is primarily Internet-based. Google Docs are saved in the cloud, specifically, in Google Drive, and can be accessed from a phone, tablet, or computer with or without an Internet connection. Google Docs can be extended with third-party add-ons.
One of the most powerful features of Google Docs and other Google applications is that multiple people can work on the same document at the same time. This is a huge plus for education. It is possible to share documents with anyone for viewing or editing.
There is integration between MS Word and Google Docs. You are able to import a Word document, convert it to Google Docs, and export it back to Word. It is possible to begin a document by using a template. There is a category dedicated to students and teachers. All edits are automatically saved. Revisions are saved and it is possible to see who made a specific edit.
Google Docs will operate on both a Mac or PC, as well as mobile devices.
The only equipment needed is a computer, smartphone, or iPad with a Web browser.
Access to Google Docs is accomplished through a Web-browser. These are the most common browsers:
- Internet Explorer
- Google Chrome
Google Docs is accessed by going to https://docs.google.com/
Learning resources information
Guides and Beginner Instructions
Here are a number of great guides to help you better understand Google Docs and its capabilities.
Here are a number of articles that try to provide more information about Google Docs.
- Use voice commands to write and format text with Google Docs
- 4 Tips for Making Professional Looking Google Docs
- 21st Century Walkthrough
Google Docs Add-ons
Here are a number of recommended add-ons for extending Google Docs.
- Google Docs Gets Voice Typing, Templates, Smart Sheets And More
- Tag Cloud Generator: Google Docs Add-on
- A Handy App for Converting Google Sheets into Google Docs
- A Very Good Google Doc App for Helping Students with Their Learning
- 10 Add-ons that will give your Google Docs unlimited powers
- Add-ons for Google Docs & Sheets
- 7 of the Best New Add Ons for Google Docs and Sheets
- The Best Add-Ons for Google Drive
- 6 Powerful Google Docs Features to Support the Collaborative Writing Process
- Now Anyone Can Sync Google Docs & Microsoft Office
Here are a number of great ideas for using Google Docs in an education environment.
- 10 Back-To-School Tips For Teachers Using Google Docs
- Google docs 1; pen and paper 0
- Google docs for academic writing process
- Writing with Google Docs: Foster Collaboration & Creation
- Using Google Docs Forms to Run a Peer-Review Writing Workshop
- 50 Google Docs Tips Every Teacher should Know about
Tips and Shortcuts
Here collections of tips and shortcuts for using Google Docs better.
- 10 Google Docs Tips that Take Seconds & Save You Time
- Using a Ruler / Protractor in Google Docs
- Force Users to Make a Copy of a Google Doc!
- How to Make PDFs Editable With Google Docs
- This is How to Insert A Bookmark in A Google Doc
- 15 tips to get the most out of Google Docs
- Edit Google docs on your iPad
- Editing your Google Docs on the go
Here are some scripts to add functionality to Google Docs.
Here is a collection of videos that will help you understand and use Google Docs.